27 Jan Does your child need Paediatric Physiotherapy?
With all of the changes that occur as children grow it can be difficult to know what your child needs or who they may need to see from a health and developmental perspective. So, how do you know if your child would benefit from the services of a paediatric physiotherapist? Below we will explain Paediatric Physiotherapy and when it could benefit your child.
What do paediatric physiotherapists do?
Paediatric physiotherapists provide evidence-based therapy to help in the management of children who are affected by various conditions with the aim to optimize movement and function. These conditions may be related to development, orthopaedics, sporting injuries, the musculoskeletal system/structures, rehabilitation and neurological issues.
You should seek the services of a paediatric physiotherapist if you have the following concerns about your baby or child:
* Born prematurely
* Their head is an odd shape
* Your baby tends to only look to one side
* Your baby feels ‘floppy’ or ‘stiff’ when being handled
* Is still struggling with ‘tummy time’ at 4 months of age
* Is not sitting by 9 months
* Is not trying to stand by 12 months
* Is not walking by 18 months
* There are differences between each side of the body
* Is delayed in reaching physical milestones
* Has difficulty keeping up with their peers (e.g. developmentally or ability to focus)
* Has an unusual walk or foot posture
* Is bottom shuffling
* Is clumsy with performing activities such as running, jumping or with ball skills
* Is experiencing aches, pains or tightness with activity or rest
* Postural concerns
* Low or high muscle tone (unrelated to activity)
* Poor strength and motor control (posture and movement)
* Is recovering after illness, injury or surgery
* Genetic, trauma or growth-related issues
* Is hypermobile
* Has a stiff or swollen joint (or joints)
* Has an Acquired Brain Injury – a traumatic brain injury, stroke or other cause of ABI
If your child is experiencing any of the above, or if you have concerns regarding you child’s development, movement or function in general or following trauma, injury or surgery don’t hesitate to contact us at Western Paediatric Physiotherapy. Our specialist physiotherapists are highly experienced in managing the needs of growing bodies, from babies through to young adults. Call our friendly clinic in Hoppers Crossing today for an appointment on (03) 8001 2042.